Tuesday, September 26th 2017

Ataribox Hits Stores Next Spring for Under $300 with AMD Radeon Graphics & Linux

Atari is back in the console game with their upcoming Ataribox which is slated for a late spring 2018 release. At the heart of the system is a specially designed AMD processor running on Radeon Graphics technology. According to the Atari team, they've opted to implement a customized version of Linux operating system into the Ataribox to bring a full PC experience for the TV. Linux allows users to customize the OS the way they want it while also giving them access to games they've bought from other content platforms. The Ataribox will come preloaded with many classic Atari retro titles, so that gamers can relive their childhood days. However, it will also support modern titles from other studios. Besides gaming, we can use the Ataribox for other tasks like running applications, multimedia streaming, web browsing or checking social media.

Initial images revealed the Ataribox sporting a black plastic casing. It will be available in two editions: black and red with a glass front panel or wooden front panel. We also noticed numerous modern ports at the back of the console. So far, we counted four USB ports, one HDMI port, and an Ethernet port for internet access. There is also a SD card slot for expandable storage.
The Ataribox team will be launching a campaign on Indiegogo next month to crowdfund the development of the console. In regards to pricing, we expect it to cost between $250 and $300 depending on the edition and memory configuration.
Source: Ataribox
Add your own comment

30 Comments on Ataribox Hits Stores Next Spring for Under $300 with AMD Radeon Graphics & Linux

Durvelle27
Wow this looks very interesting

I may go for one
Posted on Reply
Fouquin
It's basically a Steam Machine.
Posted on Reply
Durvelle27
FouquinIt's basically a Steam Machine.
but supposedly cheaper
Posted on Reply
damric
It's a mining machine!
Posted on Reply
TheLostSwede
News Editor
More like Nvidia Shield, but x64 based with a more open OS, but at a higher price.
Posted on Reply
Unregistered
If it's somewhat powerful it might even be worth hacking one and putting standard linux on it (doubt windows will work) to make it a budget gaming pc.

Then again, it's Atari we're talking about here.
Posted on Edit | Reply
dj-electric
Looking this thin, im not expecting too much
Posted on Reply
EarthDog
What is a "specifically designed" AMD processor? Is it not off the shelf? I see Lisa Su posted something about that on her twitter........... just would like to know what customizations, if any, were used...
Posted on Reply
thesmokingman
But where's the slot for the cartridge man? It does have that retro look to it.
Posted on Reply
Unregistered
But can it use a mouse and keyboard? What apps can it run besides games? What games can it run? Is it literally a steam machine without steam OS?
Posted on Edit | Reply
silentbogo
What really makes me concerned is:
a) Crowdfunding
b) Price
I really hope it's not Carrizo, but I'm not hoping for anything higher than slightly customized Bristol ridge.
Raven Ridge is too far away for any device announcements, and Zen mobile is too expensive for this price point.
Not a console "console" killer, not a Steambox... probably closer to x86-64 equivalent of Shield TV.
Posted on Reply
AsRock
TPU addict
Durvelle27Wow this looks very interesting

I may go for one
Does look kinda cool, partly due to keeping it some what like the original.
With worse cooling by looking at it.
Posted on Reply
Katanai
Where are the controllers? If they make ones like these on USB, I will laugh so hard...

Posted on Reply
Readlight
It can be something revolotianry if it does not haw all disanvantages from ps4 what i dont liked.
Games will be in flash drives and micro sd, lots off controlers for for everyone, no more expensive services, no more hacking and user data colection, works all games, extreme cpu and gpu. And lots of more.
Posted on Reply
dozenfury
I am pretty skeptical since there have been a lot of these types of boxes that have flopped. Radeon graphics is also really vague since that's a wide gambit. In the end I'm not sure what the benefit of this is over a $50-$75 Pi or set-top box. Those have plenty of power for emulating old retro games or streaming video. And if I wanted something simple to setup with a bit more power than a Pi or set-top box the Shield at $180 seems like a better option than this at $250-$300. But we'll see, it looks like they are giving it some effort at least.
Posted on Reply
dorsetknob
"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
EarthDogWhat is a "specifically designed" AMD processor? Is it not off the shelf?
:) Off the Shelf low Binned Ryzen laser cut to Make it a " Custom specifically designed SKU and BGA of Course"
This is of Coure pure non Fanboy Speculation :)
Posted on Reply
Durvelle27
Ryzen and Vega :roll:

You guys will see

It will destroy everything
Posted on Reply
HammerON
The Watchful Moderator
This may have to be my 4-year olds first gaming console:)
My first one was the original Atari:toast:
Posted on Reply
metalfiber
Hah , I've got a ColecoVision...oh God the flashbacks are...back.
Posted on Reply
efikkan
I surely hope it's a quality console built for running new games, and not something like the cheap Nintendo-licensed NES/SNES mini consoles, which are just the cheapest hardware with a poor emulator and a few games.

Crowdfounding doesn't sound good though.
Posted on Reply
AsRock
TPU addict
KatanaiWhere are the controllers? If they make ones like these on USB, I will laugh so hard...

OMG NO, by all means they were tuff but dam my palm of my hand used to get blisters lol.
Posted on Reply
fritoking
DeathtoGnomeswhere are the Nvidia features?
AsRockOMG NO, by all means they were tuff but dam my palm of my hand used to get blisters lol.
Yeahhhhh....the "controller" gave your palm blisters..... Ok...
Posted on Reply
Totally
EarthDogWhat is a "specifically designed" AMD processor? Is it not off the shelf? I see Lisa Su posted something about that on her twitter........... just would like to know what customizations, if any, were used...
My guess is a laptop part that is going to run at no so laptop like specs. Kind of coincides with what AMDs currently working on(APUs) and trying to push out the door.
Posted on Reply
Warrgarbl
If anything I think it looks really cool. They totally nailed the classic Atari look and even managed to get some wood in there that actually looks great :)
Posted on Reply
StrayKAT
I may just buy one for fun. I loved Atari.. But they seriously have a mega uphill battle here.

Although I doubt this is as American made as old Atari (not that that's relevant.. but you know.. good ole days of many US tech companies then).

edit: Actually since it's Linux, I guess I could replace my Pi with it.. and get other features to boot.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment
May 1st, 2024 18:16 EDT change timezone

New Forum Posts

Popular Reviews

Controversial News Posts