EXCLUSIVE: AMD Is Working On A Monster 64-Core Threadripper, Landing As Early As Q4 2019

Usman Pirzada

Update 6/14/2019 5:03 GMT+5: My source reached out to correct that the best expectation is "late Q4".

Did you think AMD was done with Threadripper? Well, if that's what you thought, I have some good news. I have confirmation that the company is preparing an absolutely monstrous 64-core/128-thread Threadripper part for launch in Q4 2019. AMD's largest HEDT processor right now is the W2990X which tops out at 32-cores. This is nothing to sneeze at and is already the highest core HEDT part around but because the world can't get enough of these yummy cores, AMD is planning to launch a 64-core version in Q4 2019.

AMD working on ultra-HEDT X599 platform: Threadripper CPUs with up to 64-cores

The platform is called X599 right now although I am told AMD is considering changing the name to avoid confusion with Intel. This is not really surprising since both Intel and AMD HEDT platforms have the same nomenclature and it can get really confusing. I am also told that they they plan to retain the "99" suffix. AMD is planning to launch the 64-core Threadripper part and the corresponding platform in Q4 2019. In fact, that is when you can expect these motherboards to start popping up from various AIBs.

Now my source did not mention a new socket, so as far as I know, this should be socket compatible with the existing TR4 motherboards and only a bios update should be needed if you already own one. What I don't know right now is whether this is a 12nm part or a 7nm part. Conventional wisdom would dictate that this is a 12nm part trickling down from their server space, but who knows, maybe the company will surprise all of us?

This is pretty exciting news, because knowing AMD, the 64-core Threadripper CPU will probably be priced in the $2500 to $3000 range, making it one of the most affordable workstation processors around with this many threads. Considering Intel's 18-core retails for around $1800, this is going to be an absolute steal for the retail professional. This processor is also going to be great for homegrown server setups and computing clusters - the applications are practically endless.

My source was pretty clear on the timeline and said AMD plans to introduce this before the year is over because they have something else planned for CES next year. You should start seeing motherboard leaks related to the X599 (or whatever it ends up being called) during Q4 2019 and the CPUs should be on the shelves at the very latest by January 2020; although this is a worst case scenario and the plan right now is to ship by mid-Q4 2019.

Well, this is a rather short post, so that's all folks.

Share this story

Deal of the Day

Comments