Thursday, March 23rd 2017

AMD Readies Ryzen 7 1800X and 1700X Packages with Wraith Max Coolers

AMD launched the retail versions of its flagship Ryzen 7 1800X and second-best Ryzen 7 1700X processors in WOF (without fan-heatsink) boxed packages, similar to how Intel sells unlocked "K" and "X" series processors, such as the Core i5-7600K and Core i7-7700K. The company is giving final touches to newer packages of the two chips that include a stock cooling solution, probably addressing markets in which socket AM4-compatible aftermarket cooling solutions aren't easily available. These packages will include AMD's largest Wraith-series cooler, the Wraith Max.

Wraith Max is the company's largest stock cooling solution, and is a slight upscale of the original Wraith cooler AMD introduced with the FX-8370. It is rated for CPUs with TDP of up to 140W, and so it could make short work of the 95W Ryzen 7 1800X and 1700X chips. It consists of a dense aluminium fin-stack heatsink to which heat drawn from a copper base is conveyed by heat pipes, and ventilated by a large fan. PIB (processor in a box) retail packages of the two chips with Wraith Max will have clear markings on the box, including stylized artwork of the cooler, besides being noticeably heavier. According to ComputerBase.de, the Ryzen 7 1800X Wraith Max is priced at 579€, compared to the WOF (without fan-heatsink) package's 537€ price; while the Ryzen 7 1700X Wraith Max is priced at 460€, compared to the WOF package's 396€ price (all prices include taxes).
Source: ComputerBase.de
Add your own comment

41 Comments on AMD Readies Ryzen 7 1800X and 1700X Packages with Wraith Max Coolers

Gundem
That cooler looks awesome. Nice simple design.
Posted on Reply
natr0n
Does it really have the red trim lighting ?
Posted on Reply
ShurikN
natr0nDoes it really have the red trim lighting ?
Yes. If your MB has an RGB header you can change it to whatever you want tho.
Posted on Reply
oxidized
So 38€ for 1800X and 64€ for 1700X, the same cooler?

What? :confused:
Posted on Reply
zo0lykas
anyway its cheaper if you going for water cooling loop, its very good idea.
oxidizedSo 38€ for 1800X and 64€ for 1700X, the same cooler?

Posted on Reply
GhostRyder
I do like the wraith cooler (Much more than Intels) but I feel on these high end models its pointless since IMO most of us are at a minimum going to grab something like a Hyper212 and get some better clocks.
Posted on Reply
[XC] Oj101
oxidizedSo 38€ for 1800X and 64€ for 1700X, the same cooler?

He's referring to the price premium for the CPUs with the coolers included. You pay 38€ extra for the cooler with the 1800X but a much larger 64€ extra for the cooler with the 1700X.
Posted on Reply
YautjaLord
Will this thing cool down 4.0 or even 4.1GHz OC, til i get EK's custom loop? Looks beefy tho, will look good on either ASRock's Fatal1ty X370 Prof Gaming or Gigabyte's AORUS X370 Gaming K7 (lately eyeballing that one too) with all that LED RGB-y stuff.
Posted on Reply
ironwolf
I saw a Youtube video of this cooler, the guy opened up two different port covers on the side for two different cable hookups. I presume one was for the little 4-pin LED cable to the board, like the Wraith Spire has. Could not figure out what the second hookup was for though.
Posted on Reply
ShurikN
GhostRyderI do like the wraith cooler (Much more than Intels) but I feel on these high end models its pointless since IMO most of us are at a minimum going to grab something like a Hyper212 and get some better clocks.
Hyper 212 evo was marginally faster than the original Wraith (on the FX8350).
This Wraith is even beefier than the first one, so I expect it to outperform the 212.
That's just me speculating ofc. We'll see soon enough.
Posted on Reply
oxidized
[XC] Oj101He's referring to the price premium for the CPUs with the coolers included. You pay 38€ extra for the cooler with the 1800X but a much larger 64€ extra for the cooler with the 1700X.
???

What are you talking about. I think you misinterpreted my post, enough with the drugs already :D
Posted on Reply
Camm
I don't own one, but that looks beefier enough that I daresay it'd outperform some of the low to mid end air coolers.
Posted on Reply
oxidized
CammI don't own one, but that looks beefier enough that I daresay it'd outperform some of the low to mid end air coolers.
I'm not sure the cost justifies the performance, especially in 1700X case, i'm 100% you can buy a much much better cooler for 64€, i mean CM hyper 212x/EVO are 30 and 35€ on amazon.it
Posted on Reply
[XC] Oj101
oxidized???

What are you talking about. I think you misinterpreted my post, enough with the drugs already :D
Wow. For some reason I thought you were quoting someone and your part of the message was "What? :confused:"

I think it's been a long day xD
Posted on Reply
oxidized
[XC] Oj101Wow. For some reason I thought you were quoting someone and your part of the message was "What? :confused:"

I think it's been a long day xD
:toast:
Posted on Reply
alucasa
The wraith cooler is very good. Not sure it's worth the extra, but it will eventually be on a discount sooner or later.

The cooler is worth keeping.
Posted on Reply
fullinfusion
Vanguard Beta Tester
Oh yeah makes me want to toss my custom water loop into the garbage lol, but seriously this is a cool looking cooler for sure!
Posted on Reply
semitope
Only really interested in when new revisions with higher OC will be available. 4.5 would be epic
Posted on Reply
oxidized
does anyone know for sure which cooler the box version of 1600X will be coming with?
Posted on Reply
cadaveca
My name is Dave
YautjaLordWill this thing cool down 4.0 or even 4.1GHz OC, til i get EK's custom loop? Looks beefy tho, will look good on either ASRock's Fatal1ty X370 Prof Gaming or Gigabyte's AORUS X370 Gaming K7 (lately eyeballing that one too) with all that LED RGB-y stuff.
If that OC is less than 140 W, then yes. Can you get those clocks at less than 140 W? Also yes.
Posted on Reply
ironwolf
oxidizeddoes anyone know for sure which cooler the box version of 1600X will be coming with?
1600X sounds like it will ship w/o a cooler at all.

1600 and 1500X should ship with Wraith Spire w/o LED ring.

1400 should ship with Wraith Stealth w/o LED ring.

At least that is the latest I have seen.
Posted on Reply
oxidized
ironwolf1600X sounds like it will ship w/o a cooler at all.

1600 and 1500X should ship with Wraith Spire w/o LED ring.

1400 should ship with Wraith Stealth w/o LED ring.

At least that is the latest I have seen.
That was the case with 1700X and 1800X too, but now AMD is shipping them with coolers. That's why i asked actually.

edit: also both spire and stealth will have LED ring, but iirc it won't be RGB, just redish/orange and white LED "AMD" label something like that
Posted on Reply
Donny Stanley
oxidizeddoes anyone know for sure which cooler the box version of 1600X will be coming with?
No cooler for 1600X at least not at first. If they ever release a SKU with a cooler it'll probably be this.
Posted on Reply
oxidized
Donny StanleyNo cooler for 1600X at least not at first. If they ever release a SKU with a cooler it'll probably be this.
Well they did afterwards with 1700X and 1800X, 1700 already had it (?)
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment
May 15th, 2024 14:50 EDT change timezone

New Forum Posts

Popular Reviews

Controversial News Posts