Sunday, March 19th 2017

Intel Debuts its 3D XPoint Technology with Optane DC P4800X Datacenter SSD

Today, Intel unveiled the Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X Series and Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X Series with Intel Memory Drive Technology, enabling new possibilities to transform storage and memory architectures for the data center. Deployed as blazing fast storage or caching tier, Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X breaks the confines of traditional storage to significantly increase scale per server and accelerate applications. When deployed as extended memory, this drive expands the system memory pool, creating bigger, more cost-effective memory to gain higher quality insights.

An industry-leading combination of high throughput, low latency, high quality of service and high endurance enable the creation of solutions that remove data bottlenecks, unleash CPU utilization and deliver unprecedented insights. Intel Optane SSDs offer unrivaled performance at low queue depth, where the vast majority of applications generate storage workloads, which means CPUs are more active and more fully utilized. Intel Optane SSDs for the data center let users do more work with the same servers, improving TCO or expanding capabilities. And because the drive is extremely responsive under any load, it is highly predictable and delivers ultra-fast service, consistently.
Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X Series will drive new solutions with applications such as artificial intelligence and machine learning, faster trading, and deeper insights into medical scans. It expands the reach of cloud computing solutions.

Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X with Intel Memory Drive Technology enables data centers to deliver more affordable memory pools by displacing a portion of DRAM or significantly increasing the size of memory pools. This solution transparently integrates the drive into the memory subsystem and presents the SSD as DRAM to the OS and applications.

Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X Series (375GB, Add in Card) and Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X with Intel Memory Drive technology is available now to customers in an early ship program. Additional capacities and form factors will be available in the second half of 2017.

Visit the Intel product page to read more about the drive and how it unleashes possibilities. Read about specific uses cases utilizing Intel Optane SSDs for the data center on the IT Peer Network.
Add your own comment

23 Comments on Intel Debuts its 3D XPoint Technology with Optane DC P4800X Datacenter SSD

Prima.Vera
Sorry, but this is pure Intel PR BS. Can we find somewhere some true technical explanation for this, and if is really worth it?
Posted on Reply
Imsochobo
TheLostSwedeA few more details here www.anandtech.com/show/11208/intel-introduces-optane-ssd-dc-p4800x-with-3d-xpoint-memory

Still not much real information and it's going to cost a small fortune. Over $1500 for the 375GB drive...
still not many uses, it's not revolutionary, it's not at all what Intel Hyped it to be.

It IS a lot faster in random 4k writes which is it's only "selling point"
3x faster in random read, ~same in seq. read\write but 10x faster in random write.

Not what gamers want for sure as we do mostly read, but database servers could make use of it.
Posted on Reply
JalleR
No the performance is the Tender on the ryzen hype train...... :)

But it is the first model, so maybe they can fine tune it, but.... I stopped expecting any grate improvements after skylake and RX400 series, so lets look at NVidia and hope they can keep up actually getting more that 5-10% performance increase from year to year.
Posted on Reply
TheLostSwede
News Editor
JalleRI stopped expecting any grate improvements
Most people have stopped expected grate improvements since not much can be improved on current designs... Although I wish they could come up with a knuckle friendly design...

Sorry, couldn't help myself... :p
Posted on Reply
Imsochobo
JalleRNo the performance is the Tender on the ryzen hype train...... :)

But it is the first model, so maybe they can fine tune it, but.... I stopped expecting any grate improvements after skylake and RX400 series, so lets look at NVidia and hope they can keep up actually getting more that 5-10% performance increase from year to year.
Ryzen is a superb product, it's hype is misplaced, but it's efficiency is astounding and AMD Didn't hype it that much apart from launch, but it does EVERYTHING it was advertised to do.
Users hype it, Intel have hyped Optane and also said it only works on kaby ++ and people have refrained from buying Ryzen for the sole reason to see what optane is.
Now they can buy ryzen, have multicore performance for less.

In no way does Ryzen show any fighting power against a 7700K in Games :) nor Will it's 6 and 4 cores..

Edit: specify in games vs 7700K.
Posted on Reply
jabbadap
Imsochobostill not many uses, it's not revolutionary, it's not at all what Intel Hyped it to be.

It IS a lot faster in random 4k writes which is it's only "selling point"
3x faster in random read, ~same in seq. read\write but 10x faster in random write.

Not what gamers want for sure as we do mostly read, but database servers could make use of it.
Technology point of view it's revolutionary. It's not flash you know.

Performance vise I would wait independent review site to get hand of it, before saying anything about performance. But I can agree on intel over hyping marketing BS could lead a little disappointment on performance side of things. But technology is new, controller might not be up to task yet to take all the performance what is possible. Pcie I/O might not be fast enough, NVDIMMs mosti probably will. etc.
Posted on Reply
ShurikN
$4 per GB. Good luck with that.
Posted on Reply
FreedomEclipse
~Technological Technocrat~
Some say, intel are still grating till this day,..
Posted on Reply
EarthDog
Grate improvements... Oy. If you can't spell great, you won't notice much going on around you...
Posted on Reply
simlariver
Too little too late: This is a super niche product that will become obsolete the day Intel figures out how to add more memory lanes to their Xeon lineup. Or if Naple (and it's higher memory capacity) gain traction in the server market.
Posted on Reply
mcraygsx
This will force more people to look towards NVME aka Samsung 960 m.2 due to cost and performance alone.
Posted on Reply
R0H1T
jabbadapTechnology point of view it's revolutionary. It's not flash you know.

Performance vise I would wait independent review site to get hand of it, before saying anything about performance. But I can agree on intel over hyping marketing BS could lead a little disappointment on performance side of things. But technology is new, controller might not be up to task yet to take all the performance what is possible. Pcie I/O might not be fast enough, NVDIMMs mosti probably will. etc.
Hardly, just take a look at what Intel promised (in slides) some 1.5 years back & what they delivered. They've also not revealed sequential transfer speeds for some reason, looks like they might be holding a few key points close(r) to their chest, so it could be 3DXP's achilles heel.
Posted on Reply
JalleR
EarthDogGrate improvements... Oy. If you can't spell great, you won't notice much going on around you...
I notice that you are an idiot.... so I guess I'm not totally lost...

Yes Ryzen is a fine cpu no doubt in that, especially the price.... :)
Posted on Reply
jabbadap
R0H1THardly, just take a look at what Intel promised (in slides) some 1.5 years back & what they delivered. They've also not revealed sequential transfer speeds for some reason, looks like they might be holding a few key points close(r) to their chest, so it could be 3DXP's achilles heel.
Could care a less what intel/mircon said or promised. It's not nand flash it's something else so it's not evolutionary it's revolutionary. What matters to me is science behind the technology and this 3d xpoint is something new(well maybe it's just PCM memory, but that's not the point really). If it's not working like intended, I'm fine with that too: lessons learned now back to drawing board and make it better next time.
Posted on Reply
R-T-B
JalleRI notice that you are an idiot.... so I guess I'm not totally lost...

Yes Ryzen is a fine cpu no doubt in that, especially the price.... :)
How did Ryzen come into this?
Posted on Reply
R-T-B
JalleR#7
Yeah, still is brought up rather randomly and with no relation to the thread.
Posted on Reply
Homer_liu
I think the 3D-Xpoint is very embarrassed for now. It is only used between DRAM and NAND SSD. Now Everspin had released 2G SSD with ST-MRAM product that can directly replace DRAM in system. If we went to have DRAM performance and nonvolatile feature, we could directly use the ST-MRAM to replace DRAM. I am not sure why we need to do carry coals to newcastle?
So I don't find a beautiful picture for 3D-Xpoint.
Posted on Reply
R0H1T
jabbadapCould care a less what intel/mircon said or promised. It's not nand flash it's something else so it's not evolutionary it's revolutionary. What matters to me is science behind the technology and this 3d xpoint is something new(well maybe it's just PCM memory, but that's not the point really). If it's not working like intended, I'm fine with that too: lessons learned now back to drawing board and make it better next time.
Just because it's something different doesn't make it revolutionary, if it can't replace the SSD at the low end or the DRAM at the top end then it has no business in 99% of consumer or workstation platforms. It'll then be relegated to a niche, like enterprise or certain HPC, that simply can't get enough of 3D MLC NAND to meet their storage/speed needs.
Posted on Reply
JalleR
R-T-BYeah, still is brought up rather randomly and with no relation to the thread.
Or #6 depending on where you read the comments...
Posted on Reply
R-T-B
JalleROr #6 depending on where you read the comments...
#5 seems to be the first mention. Still, story is the same.
Posted on Reply
EarthDog
Who knew this "idiot" was right?!!!! "Grate" actually does explain it all gents!! Its like the "42" for the grammatically challenged...the answer to everything (oh and idiot)! :p

......and............ I digress on the OT.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment
Apr 27th, 2024 14:12 EDT change timezone

New Forum Posts

Popular Reviews

Controversial News Posts