Tuesday, February 7th 2017

AMD's Ryzen CPUs Shipping Date Surfaces; Mark Your Calendars for February 28th

A Reddit user brought to the playing field the news that AMD's upcoming ZEN CPU's have surfaced in a "pre-order" form through AMD Shangai's official Taobao channel (though you should nevertheless take these with a measure of salt). Details on which CPU we are actually looking at here are still scarce, unfortunately, but the chip is listed at ¥1999.00 (roughly $295). While the chip's process is listed at the expected 14 nm, the base CPU frequency reads 4.2 GHz.

Looking at the supposed AMD Ryzen launch line-up, though, no model is listed at these clockspeeds. However, we should recall that AMD's Ryzen chip used on CES 2017 (an engineering sample) carried clockspeeds of 3.6 GHz base and 3.9 GHz boost, so it is certainly conceivable that newer, release steppings have bumped the frequencies to 3.9 GHz/4.2 GHz respectively (4.2 GHz base clock seems a little too much from what we've seen from the chip, but then again, we don't have any indication as to whether this is an 8-core, 16-thread or a 4-core, 8-thread part, so that should also be taken into account on our "theorycrafting"). We should now have a more firm launch window for Ryzen chips though: previous rumors have pegged the launch at March 2nd, but a February 28th launch window should now be considered to be correct. Can we just have these on our hands already?
Source: Reddit user eric98k
Add your own comment

37 Comments on AMD's Ryzen CPUs Shipping Date Surfaces; Mark Your Calendars for February 28th

the54thvoid
Intoxicated Moderator
3 weeks. You'd expect more performance leaks by now.
Posted on Reply
radrok
the54thvoid3 weeks. You'd expect more performance leaks by now.
Can't wait!

My last AMD system was on a DFI LanParty board, oh memories...
Posted on Reply
Rowsol
Cue Michael Buffer. Excited to see some numbers!
Posted on Reply
Evo85
:banghead:

Can't......wait......much....longer..........
Posted on Reply
Slizzo
radrokCan't wait!

Mine was similar vintage but was an EVGA nForce4 SLI x16 board with an Opteron 170 in it. Ah the days of overclocking that chip. Was kinda crazy.
Posted on Reply
Dbiggs9
Ready for my ryzen build to replace the 990x
Posted on Reply
xkm1948
Don't know about u guys Ill probably wait for RyZen 2 or 3 until they iron out most bugs and improve performance even more.

:roll:
Posted on Reply
kruk
As long it's not February 29th ... :D
Posted on Reply
potatoriot
Stop hyping and verify your source. Its not the official AMD account, its a random retailer (a small one at that). I wouldn't trust that source at all.
Posted on Reply
looncraz
3.8/4.2 quad core with SMT was rumored at an AMD partner (I know a couple employees) a few weeks ago, but another rumor was that there was a top-end 4.0/4.4 GHz quad core special edition model... and yet someone else even claimed that 4.2/4.6GHz was being contemplated...

I gave none of these any credence at the time (lots of wishful thinking, methinks)... and I'm not so certain I can do so now... aside from the 3.8/4.2 model... which would still fit with this listing.
Posted on Reply
X828
290.52 according to google ... Not too bad if it's a high end model.
Posted on Reply
ADHDGAMING
whoa, if under 300$ is fa real .. just ... W..O..W
Posted on Reply
Evo85
potatoriotStop hyping and verify your source. Its not the official AMD account, its a random retailer (a small one at that). I wouldn't trust that source at all.
"though you should nevertheless take these with a measure of salt)"

You must have missed that part.
Posted on Reply
Disparia
Raevenlord(4.2 GHz base cock seems a little too much from what we've seen from the chip, but then again, we don't have any indication as to whether this is an 8-core, 16-thread or a 4-core, 8-thread part, so that should also be taken into account on our "theorycrafting").
Just start slow and work up to it.
Posted on Reply
Gargantua
"(4.2 GHz base cock seems a little too much from what we've seen from the chip, but then again, we don't have any indication as to whether this is an 8-core, 16-thread or a 4-core, 8-thread part, so that should also be taken into account on our "theorycrafting")"

4.2 GHz base whaat???
Posted on Reply
NdMk2o1o
Gargantua"(4.2 GHz base cock seems a little too much from what we've seen from the chip, but then again, we don't have any indication as to whether this is an 8-core, 16-thread or a 4-core, 8-thread part, so that should also be taken into account on our "theorycrafting")"

4.2 GHz base whaat???
It starts at 4.2 and can boost up to 6-7 when you need the extra oomph ;)
Posted on Reply
Gargantua
NdMk2o1oIt starts at 4.2 and can boost up to 6-7 when you need the extra oomph ;)
And the performace will rise when temperature is cold enough I believe :p
Posted on Reply
springs113
SlizzoMine was similar vintage but was an EVGA nForce4 SLI x16 board with an Opteron 170 in it. Ah the days of overclocking that chip. Was kinda crazy.
Mine was also a dfi lanparty ultra 2 or something of that sort.
Posted on Reply
Chaitanya
radrokCan't wait!

Mine was much later on with a bulldozer based build, which was later on upgraded to z87 and 4770k.
Posted on Reply
eidairaman1
The Exiled Airman
:eek::roll::toast::peace::rockout::respect::clap:
Posted on Reply
okidna
I'm excited and I'm ready to buy Ryzen + AM4 mobo (no RAM, I'll just pull 2x16 GB DDR4 from my Intel rig), but I just heard that Ryzen CPU's allocation for SEA region will be the second lowest (the lowest will be India) until April 2017, sooo bye bye MSRP :shadedshu::shadedshu:
Posted on Reply
Foobario
Who cares if it is out 2/28 or 3/5?

With the die size advantage of Ryzen (without iGPU) 44mm2 vs. Intel's 170mm2 + (with iGPU), AMD will clean Intel's clock should they decide they want to start a price war.

Right now Intel is scurrying to start producing dies without iGPUs in a desperate attempt to remain competitive.

Even with the crappy yields that AMD will have initially, they will still probably have cost parity with Intel, at least. By the end of April, when yields improve at GLOFO and Samsung, Intel will be at a cost disadvantage should they not dump millions into redesigning their wafers to produce dies without integrated graphics. Even then, their die size will be 10% bigger than Ryzen that will put them close to cost parity since AMD still has to pay a foundry markup.
Posted on Reply
Add your own comment
Apr 28th, 2024 10:00 EDT change timezone

New Forum Posts

Popular Reviews

Controversial News Posts